Maintenance and Security – Buyer Test Systems – Corporate Headquarters, Ottawa, ON, Canada
For more than 30 years, MDS has been the unequivocal global leader in Gas Turbine Engine Solutions—its clients spanning the world’s most elite companies including Pratt & Whitney, Rolls-Royce, Air France, Solar Turbines, MTU, and Siemens.
Specializing in the provision of aviation and industrial / marine solutions for the world’s top companies, MDS delivers customized, turnkey Gas Turbine Engine test facilities, becoming a prime partner to its clients.
MDS’s evolving in-depth expertise paired with a collaborative approach delivers a comprehensive and perfectly custom-engineered solution that fits its clients’ exact needs both today and in the future. From building the world’s most advanced, one-of-a-kind gas turbine engine test facilities—with projects in more than 20 countries—to being at the forefront of research and development, MDS continually drives innovation. Its Engineering Division works with national governments and universities to innovate and spearhead the industry in new and leading-edge testing technologies.
A World of Opportunity
At MDS, we value our team members and their continued contribution to everything we do—it is why we are successful, and it is why our team members are successful. Now we want to make an addition to our world-class team—this time, we are looking for an exceptional Instrumentation specialist who will join us to deliver our highly innovative Gas Turbine Engine Solutions to our customers around the globe.
General Responsibilities for the role of Buyer Test Systems
Part of the Supply Chain Management team, home for all aspects of MDS’ capability associated with sourcing, procurement, warehousing, logistics and Supplier management. The incumbent will work as a part of a team and will focus on the procurement of design/build and build to print systems.
Specific Departmental or Project Duties:
- Lead Buyer for assigned complex systems (mechanical, electrical, fluids) including the negotiation of Contractual Terms and Conditions, Payment Terms and Milestones, Payment Guarantees (Bonds and Letters of Credit), respecting timing and cost targets
- Regular interaction with MDS Engineering and other stakeholders; participation in meetings regarding purchasing requirements and current status reporting
- Interface with Project Management/Engineering to clarify and understand requirements and schedule for equipment deliverables
- Manage the RFP process, often involving multiple International Suppliers, including the coordination and generation of bid packages as required
- Manage the bid evaluation process including the documentation and meeting processes
- Generate Purchase Orders and process Purchase Order amendments as required and maintain timely and effective corporate record keeping
- Negotiate Supplier exceptions to Terms and Conditions and escalate as required to the Purchasing Manager
- Expedite purchase orders with supplier; and ensure issues related to supplier fulfilment are managed proactively and in conjunction with other stakeholders
- Collaborate with requesting departments to resolve problems relating to requirements, deviations, substitutions, priorities, delays, damages, inferior quality or other conditions
- Collaborate with the MDS Supply Chain to answer questions and clarify requirements during the bidding phase of systems procurement
- Responsible to foster and develop relationships with MDS vendors including interaction with Suppliers on a daily basis
- Locate and develop new suppliers as required
- Provide Purchasing support to colleagues across the company
- Effectively work as a Purchasing Team Member providing expertise and backup for the Purchasing Manager, Commodity Buyers and Expeditor as required
- Maintain current and effective progress records and provide regular updates to the Purchasing Manager
- Receive Supplier invoices, enter into the ERP and forward to the accounting department
- Ensure that all Procurement activities are carried out in accordance with MDS Purchasing Company Standard Procedure (CSP)
- Other tasks as assigned
Education and Qualifications
- Degree or diploma, preferably in Mechanical Engineering Technology or similar
- Minimum 7 years’ experience as a Buyer of complex systems
- Supply chain professional designation is an asset
- Experience in an engineering based industry
- Fluent in English (reading/writing/speaking); second language is an asset
- Understanding of fabrication practices and methods
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills along with effective problem solving, negotiation and risk management are necessary to succeed in this role
- A team player who demonstrates determination, energy and enthusiasm that is willing to support and assist other members of the department to manage volume
- Demonstrated flexibility and willingness to work in an evolving/growing and challenging environment
- Ability to manage multiple priorities while staying focused on delivery
- The ability to understand and work through complex commercial arrangements with new and existing suppliers
- Experience using an ERP system required
- Knowledge in international freight forwarding and logistics considered an asset
- Knowledge of contract law and financial guarantees
- Strong MS Word and Excel
Our Values mean everything to us and to our Customers
At MDS, our values drive everything we do—after all, it’s our behaviors and our resulting actions that work to foster the most positive and productive environment for our employees, our partners, and our customers. For those who wish to join our team, they must embrace the MDS values of Communication, Passion, Accountability, Teamwork, Care, and Respect—a world of opportunity awaits.
Candidates who would like to become part of the MDS team are invited to submit their resume in confidence to email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, we only contact those candidates who meet or exceed our requirements, are legally eligible to work in Canada, and do not require sponsorship.
MDS is an equal opportunity employer. MDS does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, color, mental or physical disability, religion, sex, or national origin or ethnic origin.
Please visit our website www.mdsaero.com to view all open positions.
Telephone calls are not accepted from candidates or agencies.