Turbulence Control Structure (Pratt & Whitney)
Pratt & Whitney Canada
Turbulence Control Structure, Turbofan Performance
PW545, PW305, PW306, PW308, PW-ATFI, and PW6000
Turnkey design and supply of a Turbulence Control Structure (TCS) for engine inlet noise measurements and performance testing of turbofan engines.
A TCS reduces the level of turbulence in the airflow entering an aircraft engine. This is achieved by the special flow panels arranged in a dome around the engine inlet, composed of perforated stainless steel sheet bonded to an aluminum honeycomb substrate. The perforated sheet serves to attenuate streak-wise flow unsteadiness, while the honeycomb structure provides transverse flow uniformity.
Scope of Work:
- Turbulence Control Structure;
- Integrated Transportation Cart;
- Braking and locking mechanism;
- Engine-specific annular sealing cloths;
- Portable customized reusable shipping containers for the panels;
- 4.2m geodesic dome comprising 241 polygonal frames with flow panels;
- 1.4m engine inlet diameter;
- Self supporting mobile structure to facilitate towing around an outdoor test site and easy alignment with an engine’s inlet cowling;
- Height adjustable;
- Designed for ease of assembly, disassembly, and transportation between various sites; and
- Integrated Pressure Probes.