For more than 30 years, MDS has been the unequivocal global leader in Gas Turbine Engine Solutions—its clients spanning the world’s most elite companies including Pratt & Whitney, Rolls-Royce, Air France, Solar Turbines, MTU, and Siemens.
Specializing in the provision of aviation and industrial / marine solutions for the world’s top companies, MDS delivers customized, turnkey Gas Turbine Engine test facilities, becoming a prime partner to its clients.
MDS’s evolving in-depth expertise paired with a collaborative approach delivers a comprehensive and perfectly custom-engineered solution that fits its clients’ exact needs both today and in the future. From building the world’s most advanced, one-of-a-kind gas turbine engine test facilities—with projects in more than 20 countries—to being at the forefront of research and development, MDS continually drives innovation. Its Engineering Division works with national governments and universities to innovate and spearhead the industry in new and leading-edge testing technologies.
A World of Opportunity
At MDS, we value our team members and their continued contribution to everything we do—it is why we are successful, and it is why our team members are successful. Now we want to make an addition to our world-class team—this time, we are looking for an exceptional Instrumentation specialist who will join us to deliver our highly innovative Gas Turbine Engine Solutions to our customers around the globe.
General Responsibilities for the role of Instrumentation Engineering
Reporting to the Manager of Instrumentation, the qualified individual will work in a cross-platform environment including electrical, mechanical, optical, fluidics and environmental disciplines. The successful candidate must be equally at ease working in a group or autonomously within a cross-functional organizational structure and would be responsible for all aspects of instrumentation evaluation, design, and integration and commissioning.
Some of the major areas of responsibility would be, but are not limited to:
- Specifying new instrumentation and performing product evaluations
- Supporting the development and submission of customer proposals
- Peer-reviewing of instrumentation system designs
- Designing instrumentation systems based on international standards
- Generating and reviewing design documentation (DWGs, BOMs, etc.)
- Performing uncertainty (error) analysis on components and systems
- Supporting production assembly and testing of instrumentation systems
- Performing site commissioning of instrumentation systems globally
- Calibration of instrumentation components, sub-systems and systems
- Troubleshooting complex instrumentation systems
- Supporting engine testing operations
- Supporting research and test programs
Education and Qualifications
- Professional Engineering (P. Eng.) status or be in the application process
- Have a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in the following areas:
- Data acquisition systems (DAS)
- Analog and digital I/O
- AC & DC relays
- Temperature, pressure, strain, speed and flow measurement techniques
- Measurement uncertainty (error) calculations
- Sensors, transducers, resolvers, thermocouples, RVDTs, etc.
- Low voltage AC & DC power distribution
- Communication protocols & interfaces: IP, RS232, RS485, Ethernet, etc.
- Industrial electrical design
- Product development processes and procedures
- Product design & certification according to international standards: CSA, UL, TUV, CE, GOST, GB, RoHS, WEEE, etc.
- Experience in generating design documents: Drawings, bills-of-materials, block diagrams, etc.
- Experience in generating and executing product test procedures
- A working knowledge of system design, manufacturing and test methods
- Experience with hands-on electro-mechanical assembly, test, and verification
- Experience in product design for test, manufacturability, and reliability
- Experience using AutoCAD or other 2D/3D CAD tools
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point
Experience in the following would be considered an asset:
- Audio & video communications
- Thrust measurement
- Bleed flow measurement
- Military engine communication protocols & interfaces: MIL-1553, ARINC, etc.
- Environmental monitoring: Wind speed, wind direction, humidity, etc.
- Fiber optic communications components and principles
- High power VFDs, generators and motors
- Gas turbine engine control systems
- Engineering analysis tools: Matlab, CFD, FEA, etc.
- PLC system design and troubleshooting
Our Values mean everything to us and to our Customers
At MDS, our values drive everything we do—after all, it’s our behaviors and our resulting actions that work to foster the most positive and productive environment for our employees, our partners, and our customers. For those who wish to join our team, they must embrace the MDS values of Communication, Passion, Accountability, Teamwork, Care, and Respect—a world of opportunity awaits.
Candidates who would like to become part of the MDS team are invited to submit their resume in confidence to email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, we only contact those candidates who meet or exceed our requirements, are legally eligible to work in Canada, and do not require sponsorship.
MDS is an equal opportunity employer. MDS does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, color, mental or physical disability, religion, sex, or national origin or ethnic origin.
Please visit our website www.mdsaero.com to view all open positions.
Telephone calls are not accepted from candidates or agencies.