For more than 30 years, MDS has been the unequivocal global leader in Gas Turbine Engine Solutions—its clients spanning the world’s most elite companies including Pratt & Whitney, Rolls-Royce, Air France, Solar Turbines, MTU, and Siemens.
Estimator – Corporate Headquarters, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Specializing in the provision of aviation and industrial / marine solutions for the world’s top companies, MDS delivers customized, turnkey Gas Turbine Engine test facilities, becoming a prime partner to its clients.
MDS’s evolving in-depth expertise paired with a collaborative approach delivers a comprehensive and perfectly custom-engineered solution that fits its clients’ exact needs both today and in the future. From building the world’s most advanced, one-of-a-kind gas turbine engine test facilities—with projects in more than 20 countries—to being at the forefront of research and development, MDS continually drives innovation. Its Engineering Division works with national governments and universities to innovate and spearhead the industry in new and leading-edge testing technologies.
A World of Opportunity
At MDS, we value our team members and their continued contribution to everything we do—it is why we are successful, and it is why our team members are successful. Now we want to make an addition to our world-class team—this time, we are looking for an exceptional Estimator who will join us to deliver our highly innovative Gas Turbine Engine Solutions to our customers around the globe.
General Responsibilities for the role of Estimator
The estimator shall develop a solid overview of the costs associated with the complete MDS catalogue of products, services and capabilities along with a good understanding of MDS’ mode of operandi and internal procedures required to execute projects involving:
- Participation with MDS’ Business Development and Proposal personnel in the development of strategies, solutions and proposals to meet customer requirements
- Overall responsibility for the management, preparation, and accuracy of proposal estimates and commercial proposals
- Interaction with all MDS departments and 3rd party suppliers on technical and commercial levels as required
Specific Departmental or Proposal Duties
Management, preparation of MDS’ proposal estimates and commercial proposals:
- Review and comprehension of customer requirements
- In collaboration with MDS’ Business Development Personnel and Proposal Managers, participate in the development of strategies, technical concepts and solutions to meet specific customer requirements
- Preparation of MDS’ estimates to support MDS’ proposals covering internal resource hours, fabrication, procurement of 3rd party equipment, delivery, installation and commissioning activities
- Development of estimated internal resource hours required to execute MDS’ proposed solution in collaboration with MDS internal departments (engineering, system engineering, projects, instrumentation, etc.)
- Collaboration with MDS engineering resources to support the development of concepts and 3rd party scope definitions for estimating purposes
- Commercial analysis of 3rd party quotations received to recommend preferred option(s) to be included within the proposal estimate; and this analysis shall also identify technical, scheduling or commercial risks along with recommended mitigations strategies as applicable
- Assist in the review of proposal specific taxation and duties requirements in conjunction with the MDS’ financing department; ensure that currency rates are up to date and reflect market conditions; and identify monies that must be hedged upon proposal award
- Create a cash flow and currency flow depicting the scope of work established by the estimate and recommend milestone payment plans
- Chairing pricing reviews with MDS Business Development personnel and Executives as required in line with our internal procedures
- Preparation of proposal documentation package including Proposal Bid Reports and commercial proposals
- Assist proposal manager to ensure consistency between the technical and commercial proposal documentation
- Creation and maintenance of a historical database of 3rd party quotations for major test systems components
- Involvement in the review of contractual terms and contractual negotiations in conjunction with MDS Business Development personnel and Executives, as required
- Involvement in customer interaction activities as required during the proposal preparation process and post proposal submittal, in conjunction with MDS Business Development personnel and Executives, as required
Education and Qualifications
- University degree in engineering, CET or equivalent
- 2 to 4 years’ experience in design engineering, systems engineering or project management
- Advanced level use in MS Excel, MSWord, and
- Willing and able to travel internationally as required
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong understanding and knowledge of MDS products and services
- Previous demonstrated Proposal Manager experience
- Ability to read and interpret customer RFQ bid packages
- Ability to multitask and achieve fixed deadlines, and
- Ability to speak and/or comprehend a foreign language is an asset
Our Values mean everything to us and to our Customers
At MDS, our values drive everything we do—after all, it’s our behaviors and our resulting actions that work to foster the most positive and productive environment for our employees, our partners, and our customers. For those who wish to join our team, they must embrace the MDS values of Communication, Passion, Accountability, Teamwork, Care, and Respect—a world of opportunity awaits.
Candidates who would like to become part of the MDS team are invited to submit their resume in confidence to email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, we only contact those candidates who meet or exceed our requirements, are legally eligible to work in Canada, and do not require sponsorship.
MDS is an equal opportunity employer. MDS does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, color, mental or physical disability, religion, sex, or national origin or ethnic origin.
Please visit our website www.mdsaero.com to view all open positions.
Telephone calls are not accepted from candidates or agencies.