For more than 30 years, MDS has been the unequivocal global leader in Gas Turbine Engine Solutions—its clients spanning the world’s most elite companies including Pratt & Whitney, Rolls-Royce, Air France, Solar Turbines, MTU, and Siemens.
Construction and Construction Site Manager – Corporate Headquarters, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Specializing in the provision of aviation and industrial / marine solutions for the world’s top companies, MDS delivers customized, turnkey Gas Turbine Engine test facilities, becoming a prime partner to its clients.
MDS’s evolving in-depth expertise paired with a collaborative approach delivers a comprehensive and perfectly custom-engineered solution that fits its clients’ exact needs both today and in the future. From building the world’s most advanced, one-of-a-kind gas turbine engine test facilities—with projects in more than 20 countries—to being at the forefront of research and development, MDS continually drives innovation. Its Engineering Division works with national governments and universities to innovate and spearhead the industry in new and leading-edge testing technologies.
A World of Opportunity
At MDS, we value our team members and their continued contribution to everything we do—it is why we are successful, and it is why our team members are successful. Now we want to make an addition to our world-class team—this time, we are looking for an exceptional Construction and Construction Site Manager who will join us to deliver our highly innovative Gas Turbine Engine Solutions to our customers around the globe.
General Responsibilities for the role of Project Manager
The position has a dual role as the successful candidate will be required to perform the responsibilities of Construction Manager while situated in the office, and perform the responsibilities of Construction Site Manager upon deployment to site. The Construction Manager role will have approximately a 25% travel requirement and the site deployment position up to 2 years in a foreign country. Deployment to site is dependent on project requirements.
- The Construction Manager works with the construction vendors and reports to the overall Project Manager of the project(s)
- Manage construction design (Architectural, Civil, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical)
- Responsible for performing design review of architectural, mechanical, electrical, and structural documents and provide timely feedback to appropriate team members utilizing company document tracking tools
- Review shop drawings for submission in a timely manner to all appropriate parties; and manage and administer the production of coordination drawings
- Ensure the timely close-out of projects including completion of punch list and submission of all close-out documents (i.e. As-builts, manuals, certificate of occupancy, etc.)
- Create cost estimates; and work with or assist the estimating group to establish preliminary construction cost (conceptual estimate) during the design/development process to achieve a target budget for approval by senior management
- Bid, negotiate, award, and prepare all subcontractor and vendor contracts in a timely manner including preparation of necessary bid documents, scope clarifications, and bid analysis spreadsheets
- Manage client and sub-contractor change orders with respect to construction activities
- Review/Write performance specifications for construction design teams and general contractors
- Read client performance specifications and ensure these requirements are implemented into the construction design
- Integrate MDS Test Systems into construction design
- Communicate and distribute contract documents, project information and any clarifications to field personnel and subcontractors in a timely manner; and maintain an up-to-date set of Contract documents in the office
- Work with the MDS Site Manager to monitor on-site safety regulations and procedures to ensure compliance with all regulatory agencies
Construction Site Manager:
- Full time day-to-day management of the site installation project
- Chair daily white board meetings
- Monitor and coordinate work performed by MDS engineers/technicians and the various sub-contractors used for installation and commissioning activities
- Ensure sub-contractors execute installation activities in accordance with local codes and standards and to contract drawings and specifications
- Review and interpret drawings and details; and provide applicable technical input and resolve technical problems
- Monitor, approve and track all out-of-scope work performed on site by sub-contractors
- Review, assess and provide input to Change Orders; and participate in bid reviews and contract awards
- Generate, monitor and update site schedule
- Enforce legal and client mandated health and safety requirements; and ensure orientation sessions, tool box meetings, etc. are carried out
- Enforce compliance with corporate CSP’s including workplace violence and harassment policies
- Coordinate and, as required, check interfaces between facility systems, specialty equipment purchased from manufacturers and gas turbine engine test system equipment
- Coordinate all test system related commissioning exercises including dry-running Acceptance Test Procedures (ATPs) and coordinating client-witnessed ATPs
- Coordinate all training activities
- Collect and control all signed acceptance documents and client approvals for return to head office
- Coordinate/review with test systems engineering and installation suppliers to ensure that the systems, as designed, meet MDS and Client needs
- Ensure redlines and working copy drawings are maintained by MDS personnel and all subcontractors, and forward completed redlines to head office
- Coordinate tracking of all site shipments (received and shipped)
- File daily job logs (reports) to head office
- Maintain and communicate snag registers
- Track, monitor and provide weekly updates of the Site Budget, including all labour, material and subcontractor costs to date, as well as provide proper forecasts of site costs for duration of installation & commissioning activities
Education and Qualifications
- College or university diploma/degree related to the mechanical engineering field
Skills and Experience
- Minimum ten (10) years’ experience project managing large construction projects (>10 Million CAD) from concept to completion
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in design of mechanical building systems
- Minimum five (5) years’ proven field construction supervision
- Experience with industrial process piping systems considered an asset.
- Advanced Level MS Project
- Advanced Level MS Excel/Word
- Detail oriented, and will appreciate the importance of sound details as the cornerstone to quality construction
- Candidate should be familiar with building codes and specifications such as National Building and Safety Codes, National Fire Protection Association, Electrical Code, etc.
- Possesses strong people skills, with the ability to interact, motivate and lead team members and contractors
- Tracking and controlling construction costs
- Commercially astute individual with a strong background in contracts management and claims avoidance
- Be familiar with the occupational health and safety act of Ontario or equivalent
- Must be willing and able to travel internationally.
- Must possess excellent English communication skills – second language skills are considered an asset
Our Values mean everything to us and to our Customers
At MDS, our values drive everything we do—after all, it’s our behaviors and our resulting actions that work to foster the most positive and productive environment for our employees, our partners, and our customers. For those who wish to join our team, they must embrace the MDS values of Communication, Passion, Accountability, Teamwork, Care, and Respect—a world of opportunity awaits.
Candidates who would like to become part of the MDS team are invited to submit their resume in confidence to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, we only contact those candidates who meet or exceed our requirements, are legally eligible to work in Canada, and do not require sponsorship.
MDS is an equal opportunity employer. MDS does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, color, mental or physical disability, religion, sex, or national origin or ethnic origin.
Please visit our website www.mdsaero.com to view all open positions.
Telephone calls are not accepted from candidates or agencies.