MDS is a fast-growing Aerospace Engineering firm currently servicing some of the world’s leading companies in more than 15 countries worldwide including Rolls-Royce, Siemens, General Electric and Pratt & Whitney. MDS not only provides custom built test facilities and test systems for aviation, industrial, and marine gas turbine engines, we also provide world class service to back it up.
The Business Development team is at the heart of the company. We work with international aerospace, marine and industrial giants to develop new opportunities for MDS. We are a combination of Proposals and Marketing groups that put their creativity, passion in the pursuit of new business opportunities. We are a motley crew; driven individuals with a myriad of backgrounds and a common goal: to build our business and to help our customers be their best.
As a Proposal Manager, you will be a key part of the Business Development team and you’ll be driving the development and submission of proposal documentation to our customers. You’ll work closely with our clients to translate their requirements and help them shape their vision. Enjoy rallying members of the team? You’ll coordinate the overall proposal generation effort by working with the Business Development and Engineering Teams to develop conceptual solutions for our clients. Being a quick learner will be an asset as to be effective in the role, you’ll be expected to develop a solid overview of the complete MDS catalogue of products, services and capabilities along with a good understanding of the commercial aspects associated with MDS contracts.
Management, preparation, and issue of MDS technical and commercial proposals and other technical documentation including:
- Review and comprehension of customer requirements;
- Development of technical concepts and solutions to meet specific customer requirements;
- When required, support Business Development on technical meetings as a subject matter expert’
- Management of engineering resources to support the development of concepts and solutions;
- Time-line and cost management of the proposal preparation process;
- Preparation of proposal documentation package including Opportunity Assessment Reports, technical & commercial proposals, preliminary project schedule, MDS conceptual drawings and supporting annexes as required;
- Responsible to ensure consistency between the technical and commercial proposal documentation;
- Assist proposal estimator as required in the preparation of supplier RFQ’s;
- Assist proposal estimator as required in the technical/commercial review of supplier quotations;
- Assist in the review of proposal specific taxation and duties requirements with the proposal estimator;
- Participation and scheduling of internal pricing reviews with MDS executives;
- Co-ordination of the following:
- technical publications and word processing personnel as required;
- engineering groups for proposal input and review;
- sub-contracted proposal material (printed documents, scaled models);
- of logistics to ensure proposal is delivered to the customer on schedule;
- Preparation and coordination of proposal specific technical presentation material as required for customer technical review meetings;
- Creation and maintenance of a database of current accurate technical write-ups for MDS products and services;
- Customer interaction – requesting technical information, presentation of proposals and/or products etc;
- Involvement in the review of contractual terms and contractual negotiations in conjunction with MDS Business Development personnel and Executives;
- Upon contract award, responsibility for the handover of the proposal to the operations team, and participation in reviews during the project cycle to ensure that the BD value proposition has been properly conveyed to the execution team.
- Participation in Phase 1 Engineering Concept Development Projects when required;
- Participation in the conception and production of technical and corporate marketing material as required, and
- Participation in other marketing related activities as required.
Education and Qualifications
- 4 to 8 years’ experience in design engineering, project engineering or project management;
- Ability to read and interpret customer RFQ bid packages;
- Willing and able to travel internationally as required;
- Advanced level use in MS suite of products
- University degree in Engineering or mechanical technology or equivalent;
- Subject matter expertise in fluids, instrumentation or controls shall be considered a definite asset;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Customer focused;
- Creative and conceptual thinker;
- Experience with 3D CAD is an asset;
- Previous demonstrated Estimating experience;
- Ability to speak and/or comprehend a foreign language is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to respect deadlines;
- Comfort in challenging the norm, using problem solving skills that take all stakeholders into account;
- Uncompromising principles and integrity.