MDS is a fast-growing Aerospace Engineering firm currently servicing some of the world’s leading companies in more than 15 countries worldwide including Rolls-Royce, Siemens, General Electric and Pratt & Whitney. MDS not only provides custom built test facilities and test systems for aviation, industrial, and marine gas turbine engines, we also provide world class service to back it up.
Manager of Instrumentation
MDS Aero Support Corporation, a world leader in the design and construction of gas turbine engine test equipment and facilities, has a requirement for a Manager – Instrumentation Engineering in Ottawa, ON.
Part of the Measurement team, home for all aspects of MDS’ capability associated with the design, production and installation of data systems, including the assembly of some key elements of our data system hardware deliverables, the incumbent will be a key technical expert for the Instrumentation department.
Reporting to the Director of Measurement, the role of the Manager of Instrumentation shall be an engineer of record for self-assigned projects but moreover a technical expert on all project related Instrumentation issues.
- Overall responsibility for effectively managing the departmental resources. This includes training, coaching, providing effective leadership and motivation, as well conducting talent management practices and succession planning.
- Conduct performance and salary reviews with the department staff.
- Own and maintain the Instrumentation department’s engineering design processes and work instructions.
- Oversee departmental processes and work instructions and take proactive measures to ensure process improvements are being timely addressed.
- Monitor departmental hours and budgets to ensure resources remain on budget and intervene when costs start to near completion or creep above. The systems engineer is responsible for working with the engineer of record to establish estimates to complete all project task codes, and the Group Leader must review and approve the consolidated and estimated totals on a departmental basis.
- Support the marketing department with cost estimates and conceptual design proposals.
- Attend the marketing to project hand-over meetings to gain an overall understanding of the contractual scope of work, and to establish the resource requirements of the Instrumentation department.
- Assign an adequate level of “qualified” resources to each project and work packages, while maintaining a healthy resource loading.
- Delegate representation of the Instrumentation group at the Project kick-off meeting to the assigned project resources.
- Be on call for Instrumentation department escalations and exceptions and assist the project management team with setting priorities.
- Attend all Instrumentation design reviews as a critique of good engineering practices and as the gate customer, and hence the approval authority of all design reviews gate check-lists.
- Process, assign and manage timely closure of all NCR’s.
- Attend audit wrap-up meetings and assign personnel to rectify CARs and PARs and update CSPs and WIs if necessary or otherwise implement corrective action.
Project Resource Duties
- Self-assign as a design engineer against Projects and Work Package(s)
- Mentor, train and supervise junior engineers by taking ownership of work packages and delegating manageable tasks to these trainees and/or junior resources.
- Provide support to the Instrumentation Engineers on technical problem solving.
- Provide support to the Marketing Department on preparing quotes and concepts.
- Provide support to the Customer Support Department on problem resolution and troubleshooting.
- Review of Engineering Specifications and ATP’s
- Instrumentation expert on all projects.
Education & Qualifications
- Minimum ten (10) years’ experience in the Instrumentation and data acquisition field preferably related to gas turbine design, development, or testing
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in a management role mandatory.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills along with effective problem solving, negotiation and risk management are necessary to succeed in this role.
- Strong knowledge of instrumentation, experience in electrical design, schedules, budgets
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- P.Eng. is a necessity.
- Proven sustained leadership skills
- Delivery focused individual
- Good working knowledge of computer applications such as MS Suite
- Good working knowledge of AutoCAD