MDS Aero Support Corporation is an engineering-based organization whose primary focus is the supply of test facilities and test systems for aviation, industrial, and marine gas turbine engines. Certified to both ISO 9001 and 14001 standards, MDS has supplied turnkey engine test facilities, test support equipment, data acquisition systems, and engineering services to a variety of industries and organizations around the globe since 1985.
Manager of Controls Engineering
MDS Aero Support Corporation, a world leader in the design and construction of gas turbine engine test equipment and facilities, has a requirement for a Manager – Controls Engineering at Ottawa, ON.
MDS was a winner of Canada’s Best Managed Companies program in 2012 and requalified in 2018 to maintain its status as Best Managed Gold Standard company.
Part of the Measurement Engineering team, home for all aspects of MDS’ capability associated with the design, production and installation of data acquisition and control systems, including the assembly of some key elements of our data system hardware deliverables, the applicant will have overall responsibility for leading the Controls department.
Reporting to the Director, Measurement Engineering the role of Manager – Controls Engineering shall be two-fold: managerial duties for the Controls department, and engineer of record for self-assigned projects.
- Overall responsibility for effectively managing the departmental resources to deliver project requirements on budget and schedule. This includes training, coaching, providing effective leadership and motivation, as well conducting talent management practices and succession planning.
- Conduct performance and salary reviews with the department staff.
- Own and maintain the Controls department’s engineering design processes and work instructions.
- Oversee departmental processes and work instructions and take proactive measures to ensure process improvements are being timely addressed.
- Schedule and monitor departmental hours and budgets to ensure resources remain on budget and intervene when off track.
- Support the Proposals Group with cost estimates and conceptual design proposals.
- Attend the ‘Proposal to project’ hand-over meetings to gain an overall understanding of the contractual scope of work, and to establish the resource requirements from the Controls department.
- Assign an adequate level of “qualified” resources to each project and work packages, while maintaining a healthy resource loading.
- Delegate representation of the Controls department at the Project kick-off meeting to the assigned project resources.
- Be on call for Controls department escalations, exceptions and assist the project management team with setting priorities.
- Attend all Controls Design Reviews as a critique of good engineering practices and as the gate customer, and hence the approval authority of all design reviews gate check-lists.
- Process, assign and manage timely closure of all NCR’s.
- Attend audit wrap-up meetings and assign personnel to rectify CARs and PARs and update CSPs and WIs if necessary or otherwise implement corrective action
Project Resource Duties
- Self-assign as a design engineer against Projects and Work Package(s)
- Mentor, train and supervise junior engineers by taking ownership of work packages and delegating manageable tasks to these trainees and/or junior resources.
Education & Qualifications
- Degree or Diploma from a recognized college or university. An Engineering degree is preferred, but not essential.
- Minimum ten (10) years’ experience in Controls and data acquisition field preferably related to gas turbine design, development, or testing
- Minimum of five (5) experience in a management role.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills along with effective problem solving, negotiation and risk management are necessary to succeed in this role.
- Strong knowledge of Controls, PLCs, electrical design, schedules, budgets
- Proven sustained dynamic leadership skills
- Delivery focused individual
- Good working knowledge of computer applications such as the MS Suite
- Good working knowledge of AutoCAD