MDS is a fast-growing Aerospace Engineering firm currently servicing some of the world’s leading companies in more than 15 countries worldwide including Rolls-Royce, Siemens, General Electric and Pratt & Whitney. MDS not only provides custom built test facilities and test systems for aviation, industrial, and marine gas turbine engines, we also provide world class service to back it up.
We are seeking a full-time Instrumentation Engineer to join our team.
Reporting to the Manager of Instrumentation, the qualified individual will work in a cross-platform environment including electrical, mechanical, optical, fluidics and environmental disciplines. The successful candidate must be equally at ease working in a group or autonomously within a cross-functional organizational structure and would be responsible for all aspects of instrumentation evaluation, design, and integration and commissioning. Some of the major areas of responsibility would be, but are not limited to:
- Specifying new instrumentation and performing product evaluations
- Supporting the development and submission of customer proposals
- Peer-reviewing of instrumentation system designs
- Designing instrumentation systems based on international standards
- Generating and reviewing design documentation (DWGs, BOMs, etc.)
- Performing uncertainty (error) analysis on components and systems
- Supporting production assembly and testing of instrumentation systems
- Performing site commissioning of instrumentation systems globally
- Calibration of instrumentation components, sub-systems and systems
- Troubleshooting complex instrumentation systems
- Supporting engine testing operations
- Supporting research and test programs
The successful individual will possess a strong work ethic, good communication skills, and have experience in a multi-disciplinary, cross-functional, team-based work environment. Potential candidates should have:
- Canadian citizenship with a valid passport (no travel restrictions)
- Professional Engineering (P. Eng.) status or be in the application process
- Have a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in the following areas
- Data acquisition systems (DAS)
- Analog and digital I/O
- AC & DC relays
- Temperature, pressure, strain, speed and flow measurement techniques
- Measurement uncertainty (error) calculations
- Sensors, transducers, resolvers, thermocouples, RVDTs, Etc.
- Low voltage AC & DC power distribution
- Communication protocols & interfaces
- IP, RS232, RS485, Ethernet, etc.
- Industrial electrical design
- Product development processes and procedures
- Product design & certification according to international standards
- CSA, UL, TUV, CE, GOST, GB, RoHS, WEEE, etc.
- Experience in generating design documents
- Drawings, bills-of-materials, block diagrams, etc.
- Experience in generating and executing product test procedures
- A working knowledge of system design, manufacturing and test methods
- Experience with hands-on electro-mechanical assembly, test, and verification
- Experience in product design for test, manufacturability, and reliability
- Experience using AutoCAD or other 2D/3D CAD tools
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point
Experience in the following would be considered an asset:
- Audio & video communications
- Thrust measurement
- Bleed flow measurement
- Military engine communication protocols & interfaces
- MIL-1553, ARINC, etc.
- Environmental monitoring
- Wind speed, wind direction, humidity, etc.
- Fiber optic communications components and principles
- High power VFDs, generators and motors
- Gas turbine engine control systems
- Engineering analysis tools
- Matlab, CFD, FEA, etc.
- PLC system design and troubleshooting