The world’s aviation industry is benefiting from the operation of a first class Global Aerospace Center for Icing and Environmental Research (GLACIER) in Thompson, Manitoba. MDS AeroTest is managing, operating and maintaining the GLACIER facility, providing employment opportunities for a variety of skill sets, including several disciplines in high-tech aviation.
Engine Test Operator
MDS AeroTest has a requirement for an Engine Test Operator, at our Glacier’s test facility in Thompson, Manitoba.
To be part of a team that evaluates next-generation aircraft engines, in particular performance and icing characteristics in the extreme of environments. To assist the team during the transportation, installation, component changes during the testing cycle, testing and dispatch. You will be one of a team of engine test operators which will take an active role within the testing team in supporting the engine operation, and testing. Other duties will involve the preparation for testing, fault finding, fault rectification and maintenance. As well, you will abide by company and customer procedures to ensure the safety of the equipment and staff, and work in a cost effective manor.
Specific Departmental or Project Duties
- Interface with Customers in the operation and testing of Aero Engines and auxiliary equipment
- Handle and transport all engine types during receipt, installation, testing, removal and dispatch
- Configure the facility and associated testing equipment in readiness for testing, including specialized equipment, water spray systems, air compressors, hydraulic systems etc.
- Operate and monitor control systems, such as aero engine, facility control system, data acquisition systems and video/CCTV monitoring systems in accordance with a test plan
- Observe all applicable aero engine and facility safety limits
- Help with all aspects of the testing cycle
- Support his/her immediate supervisor
- Ability to work un-supervised
- Ensure the volume and quality of output meets the schedule requirements
- Troubleshoot and correct problems with mechanical, electrical, instrumentation or software test systems in a logical and timely fashion
- Report any facility machines/equipment failures, deficiencies and to actively pursue means to safely carry on running the facility in the interim
- Ensure correct quantities of consumables and tooling and report as necessary
- Ensure all facility maintenance is carried out and recorded in accordance with company procedures
- Obtain samples of aero engine and facility fluids for analysis
- Ensure that as part of the team you work cost effectively, efficiently and safely and according to local procedures and the QA Manual
- Gain knowledge, experience and approvals to be a company signatory in order to release work back to the customer
- Carry out any other reasonable duties within the capability of the job holder, as requested by the immediate supervision
- Participate in daily ‘white board’ meetings in order to ensure that other test stake-holders are aware of the current test status
Skills – Essential
- Be conversant with company procedures
- Be familiar with OEM engine manuals
- Be confident and effective communicator with good communication skills
- Have a good understanding of company health and safety policies and environmental issues
- Have a practical approach to dealing with priorities and problems and remain steady and calm under pressure
- Be an energetic enabler and role model, influencing others to: achieve results, bring about and sustain improvements and change
- To work beyond contracted hours to meet job requirements and work shifts as required
- Respond to emergencies, outside of normal working hours
- Excellent attendance and health record, including meeting the company’s inspection sight test requirements
- Satisfy the company’s screening and surveillance requirements
- Valid driving license
- Valid Canadian passport to enable travel abroad as required
Skills – Desirable
- Willingness to study and achieve higher qualifications
- Company related IT knowledge and skills
- Continuous professional development and personal growth
- Challenge existing methods, identify poor practices
- A willingness to learn and develop new practices
- Must have experience in the aero industry and/or in gas turbine testing
Why Join the MDS Team?
There are many reasons to consider working with the MDS team:
- Competitive wages
- Employee Incentives
- Medical Benefits
- Health Membership
- Company Events – Holiday Party, Team building activities, Town Hall Meetings, and Executive-Led Breakfast Club
At MDS our values drive our actions and behaviors to foster the most positive and productive environment for our Employees, Customers, and Partners. Candidates must demonstrate a proven ability to demonstrate the following MDS values: Communication, Passion, Accountability, Teamwork, Care and Respect.
Candidates who consider themselves a team player are invited to submit their resume in confidence to email@example.com
MDS is an equal opportunity employer. MDS does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, color, mental or physical disability, religion, sex or national origin or ethnic origin.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates who meet or exceed our requirements, are legally eligible to work in the Canada and do not require sponsorship will be contacted.
Telephone calls not accepted from candidates or agencies.