For more than 30 years, MDS has been the unequivocal global leader in Gas Turbine Engine Solutions—its clients spanning the world’s most elite companies including Pratt & Whitney, Rolls-Royce, Air France, Solar Turbines, MTU, and Siemens.
Specializing in the provision of aviation and industrial / marine solutions for the world’s top companies, MDS delivers customized, turnkey Gas Turbine Engine test facilities, becoming a prime partner to its clients.
MDS’s evolving in-depth expertise paired with a collaborative approach delivers a comprehensive and perfectly custom-engineered solution that fits its clients’ exact needs both today and in the future. From building the world’s most advanced, one-of-a-kind gas turbine engine test facilities—with projects in more than 20 countries—to being at the forefront of research and development, MDS continually drives innovation. Its Engineering Division works with national governments and universities to innovate and spearhead the industry in new and leading-edge testing technologies.
A World of Opportunity
At MDS, we value our team members and their continued contribution to everything we do—it is why we are successful, and it is why our team members are successful. Now we want to make an addition to our world-class team—this time, we are looking for an exceptional Controls Specialist who will join us to deliver our highly innovative Gas Turbine Engine Solutions to our customers around the globe.
- Design and selection of PLC hardware solutions.
- PLC programming.
- Design of PLC control schematics and design documents.
- Design of graphical user interface (GUI) systems.
- Data Collection software applications.
- Design of electrical circuits and panels. Knowledge of technology available for implementation, commercial off the shelf equipment and material selection.
- Conduct system reliability checks, write and perform acceptance test procedures and prepare maintenance manual material.
- On completion of design, assist production personnel in interpreting drawings and solve manufacturing problems.
- Interface with customer on engineering related issues.
- Willingness to travel to client site for meetings and commission stages of projects.
- Assist service personnel in troubleshooting/ modifications in the field.
Specific Departmental or Project Duties
- Working knowledge of PC hardware and software including Windows, Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of general software design and documentation processes.
- Working knowledge of various PLCs and communication protocols, e.g. OPC, RS232, IEEE, RS422, TCP/IP, Modbus.
- Experience with the following instrumentation types:
- pressure transmitters,
- analogue voltage and current signals,
- discrete state I/0,
- strain gauges,
- control valve interfaces motor starters/MCC,
- Experience in developing and tuning PID controllers.
- Ability to travel and work internationally.
- Basic proficiency with AutoCAD.
- Proficiency and design experience on Allen-Bradley Control Logix, Siemens PCS7 as well as TIA, and GE Proficy machine platforms.
- Presentation skills (written and oral English).
- Experience with gas turbines and associated instrumentation and control.
- Proficiency with Wonderware HMI software.
- Experience designing to CE and north American standards.
Education and Qualifications
- A technology diploma or degree in Instrumentation, Control/Automation or Electronics.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience designing PLC control systems and instrumentation in an industrial or R&D environment.