MDS is a fast-growing Aerospace Engineering firm currently servicing some of the world’s leading companies in more than 15 countries worldwide including Rolls-Royce, Siemens, General Electric and Pratt & Whitney. MDS not only provides custom built test facilities and test systems for aviation, industrial, and marine gas turbine engines, we also provide world class service to back it up.
Construction Manager/Construction Site Manager
We are seeking a full time Construction Manager/Construction Site Manager to join our team and assist with multiple ongoing and upcoming projects.
The position described below is intended to be a dual position. The individual performing the position will be situated in the office until deployment to site is required. The office position will have approximately a 25% travel requirement and the site deployment position up to 2 years in a foreign country.
- The Construction Manager works with the construction vendors and reports to the overall Project Manager of the project(s).
- Manage construction design ( Architectural, Civil, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical)
- Responsible for performing design review of architectural, mechanical, electrical, and structural documents and provide timely feedback to appropriate team members utilizing company document tracking tools.
- Review shop drawings for submission in a timely manner to all appropriate parties. Manage and administer the production of coordination drawings.
- The timely close-out of projects including completion of punch list and submission of all close-out documents (i.e. As-builts, manuals, certificate of occupancy, etc.)
- Create cost estimates. Work with or assist the estimating group to establish preliminary construction cost (conceptual estimate), during the design/development process to achieve a target budget for approval by senior management.
- Bid, negotiate, award, and prepare all subcontractor and vendor contracts in a timely manner including preparation of necessary bid documents, scope clarifications, and bid analysis spreadsheets.
- Manage client and sub-contractor change orders with respect to construction activities
- Review/Write performance specifications for construction design teams and general contractors.
- Read client performance specifications and ensure these requirements are implemented into the construction design
- Integrate MDS Test Systems into construction design
- Communicate and distribute contract documents, project information, and any clarifications to field personnel and subcontractors in a timely manner. Maintain an up-to-date set of Contract documents in the office.
- Work with the MDS Site Manager to monitor on-site safety regulations and procedures to ensure compliance with all regulatory agencies.
Construction Site Manager
- Full time day-to-day management of the site installation project
- Chair daily white board meetings
- Monitor and coordinate work performed by MDS engineers/technicians and the various sub-contractors used for installation and commissioning activities
- Ensure sub-contractors execute installation activities in accordance with local codes and standards and to contract drawings and specifications
- Review and interpret drawings and details. Provide applicable technical input and resolve technical problems
- Monitor, approve and track all out-of-scope work performed on site by sub-contractors
- Review, assess and provide input to Change Orders; participate in bid reviews and contract awards
- Generate, monitor and update site schedule
- Enforce legal and client mandated health and safety requirements. Ensure orientation sessions, tool box meetings, etc. are carried out
- Enforce compliance with corporate CSP’s including workplace violence and harassment policies
- Coordinate and (as required) check interfaces between facility systems, specialty equipment purchased from manufacturers and gas turbine engine test system equipment
- Coordinate all test system related commissioning exercises including dry-running ATPs and coordinating client-witnessed ATPs
- Coordinate all training activities
- Collect and control all signed acceptance documents and client approvals for return to head office
- Coordinate/review with test systems engineering and installation suppliers to ensure that the systems, as designed, meet MDS and Client needs
- Ensure redlines and working copy drawings are maintained by MDS personnel and all subcontractors, and forward completed redlines to head office
- Coordinate tracking of all site shipments (received and shipped)
- File daily job logs (reports) to head office
- Maintain and communicate snag registers
- Track, monitor and provide weekly updates of the Site Budget, including all labour, material and subcontractor costs to date, as well as provide proper forecasts of site costs for duration of installation & commissioning activities.
Education and Qualifications
- College or university diploma/degree related to the construction field
Required Skills & Experience
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience project managing large construction projects (>10 Million CAD) from concept to completion.
- Minimum five (5) years experience in design of mechanical building systems.
- Minimum five (5) years proven field construction supervision.
- Experience with industrial process piping systems considered an asset.
- Advanced Level MS Project
- Advanced Level MS Excel/Word
- Detail oriented, and will appreciate the importance of sound details as the cornerstone to quality construction.
- Candidate should be familiar with building codes and specifications such as National Building and Safety Codes, National Fire Protection Association, Electrical Code, etc.
- Possesses strong people skills, with the ability to interact, motivate and lead team members and contractors.
- Tracking and controlling construction costs
- Commercially astute individual with a strong background in contracts management and claims avoidance.
- Familiar with the occupational health and safety act of Ontario or equivalent
- Must be willing and able to travel internationally.
- The Candidate must possess excellent English communication skills – second language skills are considered an asset.